Friday, October 18, 2013

Trick or Treatment


So, I decided that for Halloween 2013, I would be a cancer patient. "Why?" you ask? Well, I just thought the timing of my ovarian cancer diagnosis was a little too close to Halloween (actually, it was more than a month before Halloween, but I don't have any other ideas). Before I throw myself under a big ol' fat bus with this blog, I should probably point out that I like to deal with serious situations by telling jokes. This is not to say that I don't take my illness seriously, I just have my own way of dealing with it.

Maybe I should start off with how I was diagnosed. THIS IS A FUNNY STORY...About halfway through the summer, I had this crazy stomach reaction to a healthy meal of Hot Fries and Purity Ice Cream. I know, right? As if I needed more vegetables. Anyway, the pain came on all of a sudden and I thought that my stomach was trying to tell me that it hated me. I dramatically sprawled out on my bed and claimed it was appendicitis or colonitis or some kind of itis that I don't know about. The pain went away, and so did my worries. About a few weeks later, the same kind of pain came on. This time it was after a healthy meal of spicy Thai food and, you guessed it, PURITY ICE CREAM. Again, my stomach hated me for the decisions I continued to make. I bet you're asking yourself how I was diagnosed if I kept covering up my cancer with awful food combinations and thus atrocious stomach reactions. Well, the stomach pains eventually started coming and going more randomly. In fact, I knew something was wrong when I had grilled chicken and broccoli for dinner (MY STOMACH LOVES DAT STUFF) and still had abdominal pains. Now to the actual diagnosis: the abdominal issues became too much one random Sunday night and I finally went to the ER expecting to be diagnosed with colonitis. After the doctor convinced me to do an ultrasound, he found a tumor on my left ovary the size of a small football. Apparently the large tumor was pressing up against my nearby organs and causing all this pain. I was diagnosed with a teratoma, 99% of which are benign. I was upset about this hiccup in the road, but so happy that the doctors were able to figure out what was wrong.

Fast forward a week later...the surgeon performing my surgery to remove the tumor found a malignancy. For the first time in my life, I AM THE ONE PERCENT. And I'm damn proud of it. Because I now have the opportunity to face something bigger than myself, something I never thought I would face in a million years. I get to stand alongside many that have gone before me, many that are fighting with me, and many that have fought and won.

Today is day 5 of my chemo treatment, which overall is not very fun, but I'm sure there are people who have it worse. My treatment consists of 3 cycles of 21 days each. For the first 5 days of each cycle, I start my 4 hour session with a dose of steroid, then I receive my first chemo drug, Etoposide. After, I receive a diuretic and electrolytes, and finish off the session with Cisplatin. On days 2, 9, and 18, I also receive a drug called Bleomycin. So far, I've only had 3 bad experiences with my chemo treatment. The first one has actually nothing to do with chemo. I spilled water all over myself and had to sit in wet sweatpants for the entirety of my 4 hour treatment...on the first day...The second bad experience was a bad reaction to an anti-nausea drug that was being administered. There was a sudden harsh pain in my arm with the IV site and, yes...I cried, but I'm going to say it was because I wasn't expecting the pain. ALSO, I HAVE CANCER SO STOP BEING AN ASS. My third bad experience was on the second day of treatment. I had an allergic reaction to the Bleomycin and got a pretty nasty rash that is still lurking around, but the doc says it's all good, so no need to start a clinical trial on it.

According to my nurses, my veins are small and suck so yesterday I had a picc-line inserted into my left arm. It's pretty cool. It's basically a fancy IV that runs all the way to a larger vein near my heart. I can keep it in throughout my entire treatment and I don't have to get pricked with needles everyday!


Wow, I look like a junkie.
Anyway, I think I've wrote enough to make myself believe that people will actually read this. If for some reason I hear that someone is reading this, maybe I'll post a picture of my puppy!!!!



10 comments:

  1. Jfogs! We just had a team read aloud in the fancy Econolodge. We all love you, agree you are a total BAMF and plan on kicking Brown's ass in your honor. Sleep easy, and share more puppy pictures =D

    Love and Laughs - Your ruggers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep up the puns. May I suggest: "Cancer?! I hardly know her!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah Eloise is a genius. Just so you know, teratomas are hands down the coolest kinds of tumors. I'm totally in for this blog, if there are puppy pictures. And call whenevs during chemo, I can yell aggressive jokes at you.
    Man I love you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jfogs! I love this blog already, you're giving me something to read/follow in my off-time. So just know that you have at least one person wishing you well in this gigantic sandbox (read: deployment in the UAE). Keep your head up man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie you're a rock star girl!! Hang in there :) ps. If u ever turn you're awesome blog into a book I want the first autographed copy :) love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jfogs, this blog makes me so happy... You know, other than the part about you having cancer.
    I know it's been a long time since we've hung out but our rookie class will always be near and dear to me! I look forward to reading more about your adventure through all this and am super proud of you for facing it with such an amazing attitude.
    So much love and support,
    Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I got my flu shot like you suggested...I pouted all day and made Abby pity me...ALL I GOTTA DO IS THINK OF YOU. UR SO STRONG.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg Julie I had no idea... u just made my cry and laugh at the same time (youre that good). Seriously I LOVE YOU. Very few people can put humor and positivity in a situation like this. You're such an inspiration. I dont care if I fail my midterm tomorrow I cant stop reading now.. praying for you Ju <3
    Sincerely,
    Rashi (the pimp)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may be 6 posts and many months late to this (for this I apologize, I don't know what I was doing with my life - srsly), but LOOK AT MY MAIN BITCH GO! Here I am in Mann library back stalking you on facebook simply bc I'm sitting here missing your identical sense of humor being in my life and THIS IS WHAT I FIND?? THAT YOU'RE A BLOGGING SENSATION AND MEGA CANCER FIGHTING CHAMP (yeah I saw that number 14 six posts ahead of this one - YOU GO. YOU GO.) I'm casually crying and laughing in the library and people may think I'm crazy but you know what? I am crazy. I am crazy proud of you for not letting cancer steal your sense of humor or positive attitude. You are pure awesome. I am rooting for you and that 14 becoming a zero 100%. Keep posting bc I will keep reading. This shiznat just made my favorites bar along with with this gem which I hope will help ya out on days to come: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/13-simple-steps-to-get-you-through-a-rough-day

    Youdabest. Miss ya dood.
    Love,
    ur m@in b!tch

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie,

    I can't believe this is happening... and I had no idea until I saw Connie's link to your blog on Facebook. Wow. I don't think I've seen you in maybe 2 years now? But I still remember wearing cough masks in Balch, pretending to be gangsters with swine flu. Probably not the best relevant memory but it still makes me laugh.

    I wish you all the best! I know you'll get through this, with lots of support here at Cornell and home. Still so unbelievable... but I know that if anyone can fight this, it's you. You're a fighter; I've always thought that about you. Don't forget that.

    See you soon!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete