Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Bad News Bears, Guys...

Friends, family, and random readers who somehow stumbled to this blog and found the title of this post interesting enough to read on: it is settled--I have to do a 4th cycle. I met with my oncologist yesterday to talk about my new AFP level. There were two unfortunate things about this meeting. One of them was that I did not know this result would determine the 4th cycle. I thought I would have another AFP test after my 3rd cycle, but I was wrong. The second unfortunate thing is my AFP level was 2. TWO. I was so close. Anyway, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. A 4th cycle would heighten my chances of kicking this cancer to the curb for good. So, instead of the 6 days I thought I had left, I now have 27 days. Quite the mental and emotional challenge. It was very hard to stay positive when I found out the news.

My new final day of treatment is December 31, New Year's Eve. In a way, I guess this is the bright side to a 4th cycle. My battle with cancer will come full circle. I can end my year and leave cancer behind me as I start over, new and healthy, in 2014. I also have my follow-up appointment with my surgeon the morning of the 31st, and I'm pretty sure he will clear me to start lifting again. Not to mention, I talked to my oncologist and I am allowed to have a glass (one glass) of wine the night that I finish treatment. This is pretty exciting, as wine is my favorite alcohol. I will be celebrating the year's end and my cancer's defeat with my family at my aunt's house in New Jersey at her yearly New Year's Eve party. It should be a really great time and I am pretty excited. January 1, 2014, can't come soon enough.

Before I end this blog post, I wanted to share a link with you guys. My team, for some odd reason (they must love me or something), started a fundraiser for me. They call it "Funds for 'Fogs - The Julie Mina Campaign". It's actually the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. They will be sending all of the proceeds to my family to help us pay the medical bills for all of this cancer crap. This isn't me telling you that if you don't donate, I'll hate you forever. This is me just posting the link to let you know that it's there if you want to help. Also, if you're in the Ithaca area, my team is holding a benefit concert this Friday night at 10 PM at the Nines on College Ave and my buds, Shannon and Bekah, are playing! I usually take part in these concerts, but since I can't be there to play, Shannon will FaceTime me on stage. Alright, that's enough about me...

Here is the link to donate: http://cwrfc.com/

And here is the link to the facebook page and details for this Friday's concert: https://www.facebook.com/events/204064706445421/ 

Also, if you guys could keep my friend, Mike Judge, in your thoughts and prayers on Dec. 10, that would be great. I met Mike in the treatment center, and if you haven't read any of my previous posts, he is 19 years old and he is battling Ewing's sarcoma. He has surgery to remove the tumor in his arm on December 10 and this is me wishing him luck!! GOOD LUCK, MIKE!!

Good luck on finals, everyone!!! Or whatever else you do with your life...



5 comments:

  1. That sucks. A lot. Do you like MMA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really gotten into it. Why do you ask?

      Delete
    2. oh, lots of free Invicta fc fights on youtube (girls) if you have to stay in bed.

      Delete
  2. Tough break with the AFP level. At least you'll be finished with everything before the new year though. I meet my oncologist on the 27th, and will resume treatment on the 30th of december so maybe I'll see you down there.

    Thanks for wishing me luck on my surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots to celebrate this New Year's. A tough 2013 but with the tough times countless blessings came along. Stay strong. You are lucky to have so many people praying and pulling for you

    ReplyDelete